Legal options when you are falsely accused

Legal options when you are falsely accused

Whether it’s in the heat of the moment during a dispute or a long and drawn out argument that has turned nasty, sometimes things can go too far and you can be falsely accused of a crime you did not commit.

Life ‘s hard enough when dealing with legitimate problems in your life, so when a false accusation is added to the heap, you can imagine the unnecessary strain and trouble it can produce.

Fortunately, you have several options you can pursue to right this injustice.

If another person has defamed you, you may have the grounds to file a libel or a slander lawsuit. Both actions involve someone making false and hurtful statements that can cause damage to a person’s reputation. The difference is that slander occurs when the statements in question are spoken to a third party, and libel takes place when the comments are made in writing or in some way are published. Slander and libel apply if you can show that the person made the statements and that they were false. Laws will vary from state to state and the damages you may be able to collect are calculated in many ways. For example, if you lose your job or have trouble finding a job due to the statements, the person in question could be on the hook for a relatively large amount of money in addition to possible compensation for things such as mental anguish or embarrassment.

If someone makes false statements about you and you end up being arrested as a result, then you may have a case against that person for malicious prosecution. For example, if an employer accuses you of embezzlement, but there is no truth or substance to the charge and you are arrested, you could seek financial compensation for damage to your reputation, any loss of income and other related setbacks.

The best thing you can do is contact a lawyer to see if your case meets the tests associated with being falsely accused and whether or not you have a case worth pursuing.

Decker & Jones serves clients in Denver, Golden and communities throughout Jefferson County, Colorado.